When water is present in a fuel tank / system, it can cause micro-organisms to grow that will contaminate the fuel. The contaminants create a sludge like waste that can cause damage / corrosion to an engine or other parts. Examples of this are blocked filters or fuel pump failure / blockage.
Diesel / Fuel Bug can also cause deterioration of the fuel itself and higher rates of fuel consumption.
If left unchecked, a buildup of 'fuel bug' organisms can result in total engine failure.
If your fuel tank isn't maintained on a regular basis and fuel is left standing for a long time, this can cause already present micro-organisms to multiply. Hot weather conditions will also contribute to worsening any infestation.
Our dipslides are an easy and effective way to test if your fuel is contaminated.
- Marine diesel fuel systems
- Rail diesel engines
- Aviation Fuel
- Agricultural equipment (tractors etc)
- Fuel distribution systems
Our BTM2 dipslides are perfect for testing diesel / fuel applications. This product listing price is for 1 box of 10 slides.
These dipslides test for total bacteria count on one side and yeasts and moulds on the other.
These slides feature red spot dye which means that the bacteria colonies will show as red dots.
- Carefully collect a sample of fuel. You may want to wear gloves whilst testing your fuel.
- Dip the slide in the fuel for approx 10 seconds. Completely immerse both sides.
- Allow excess fuel to drain from the slide.
- Return the slide to its container and replace the cap.
- Incubate the slide for 24 - 48 hours.
- Analyse your results using the enclosed comparison chart.
In order to properly incubate your dipslides, you will need to use a dipslide incubator. You can view our range here.
|Nutrient Side||Nutrient Side||Nutrient Side||Nutrient Side||Nutrient Side||Nutrient Side|
|Level of infection||102||103||104||105||106||107|
|Approx colonies per agar||≅2||≅12||≅60||≅200||≅500||≅600+|
Sulphate reducing bacteria can corrode metal at a very rapid pace if the fuel contamination is particularly bad. This can cause major problems especially with oil pipelines. We sell SRB dipslides in boxes of 10. Please see our SRB slides here.